25: Under-Vine Cover Crops
Dr. Justine Vanden Heuvel, Associate Professor of Viticulture at Cornell University, describes how controlling vine vigor is difficult in regions with high organic matter soils and plentiful summer rain. Growing certain cover crops in the vine row can devigorate vines by as much as 30%. Others do not devigorate vines, but do keep soil in place. In vineyards on slopes under-vine cover crops can reduce or eliminate the need for herbicide applications preventing the off-site movement of soil, pesticides, and nutrients.
- 10: Vineyard Weed Management | Grant Cremers (Podcast)
- 18: Next Steps in Grape Sampling | Justine Vanden Houvel (Podcast)
- Floor Management for Soil Health | Dr. Craig Macmillan
- Impact of Under-Trellis Cover Crops
- Justine Vanden Heuvel’s web page
Listen to the latest science and research with the Sustainable Winegrowing Podcast. Since 1994, Vineyard Team has been your resource for workshops and field demonstrations, research, and events dedicated to the stewardship of our natural resources.