214: 3 Eco Buzzwords You Didn't Know Are Sustainable | Marketing Tip Monday
There are a lot of buzzwords today surrounding eco-friendly production:
- Climate smart
- Carbon footprint
- Social equity
Did you know that the sustainable winegrowing community touches all of these points?
Welcome to Marketing Tip Monday with SIP Certified. We know customers are looking for wines labeled as sustainable. While our longer-form episodes help you learn about the latest science and research for the wine industry, these twice-monthly micro podcasts will help you share your dedication to sustainable winegrowing so you can show your customers that you share their values.
From the block to the bottle, making wine is a science. Growers and vintners alike must understand and work with nature to make a quality product, and sustain their business for years to come.
That’s why sustainable winegrowers use practices that protect and regenerate natural resources:
- Enhance soil health and biodiversity by planting cover crops and using compost and biochar.
- Support native wildlife species by preserving a portion of the property as non-cropped land.
- Reduce pesticide use by attracting birds of prey and beneficial insects.
2. Climate Smart.
From the fuel and batteries that run vineyard equipment, to the electric pumps and motors at work in the winery, to the electricity that power the buildings, it takes energy to make a bottle of wine!
Reducing reliance on nonrenewable energy helps to combat climate change. Sustainable winegrowers and winemakers do this by:
- Using equipment that covers multiple rows to reduce tractor passes.
- Improving insulation of buildings and winery tanks to regulate temperature and reduce energy demand.
- Utilizing natural light, energy-efficient bulbs, and motion-detecting lighting in buildings to reduce electricity demand.
3. Social Equity.
Sustainable wine businesses know that people are our most valuable resource. It’s common practice for them to:
- Provide competitive pay and medical insurance.
- Have a communication plan to reach neighbors and the community at large.
- Give back to their communities through charitable donations, volunteer work, and hosting educational events.
We are here to help you tell your customers how your brand protects natural and human resources with the Sustainable Story program.
This simple yet powerful free tool helps you tell your own personal sustainable message. And it just got better with a new online course. Go to the show notes, click the link titled Tell Your Sustainable Story to sign up, and start writing your Sustainable Story today!
Until next time, this is Sustainable Winegrowing with the Vineyard Team.
- *** Tell Your Sustainable Story Online Course ***
- Marketing Tips eNewsletter
- ReSIProcal February
- Sustainable Story | Print
- Sustainable Story | Electronic
- What's your Sustainable Story?
- Whitney Brownie | Get YOUR Sustainable Story Featured