67: Impacts of Climate Change on Wine Production
Gregory V. Jones is the Director of the Evenstad Center for Wine Education, holds the Evenstad Chair in Wine Studies, and is a professor and research climatologist in the Department of Environmental Studies at Linfield College in Oregon.
He specializes in the study of climate structure and suitability for viticulture, and how climate variability and change influence grapevine growth, wine production and quality.
Greg holds a BA and Ph.D. from the University of Virginia in Environmental Sciences with a concentration in the Atmospheric Sciences. He is the author of numerous book chapters, including being a contributing author to the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Report.
Greg discusses what makes a crop species perform better in some places versus another, why we plant only a few hundred of the of the more than 24,000 varieties, how warm climate winegrowing regions have hedged against climate risk by growing multiple varieties, factors beyond fossil fuels that affect climate change, and our biggest challenges ahead.
- 57: Wet Climate Viticulture (Sustainable Winegrowing Podcast)
- A New World of Wine: How the Viticultural Map is Changing | Greg Jones | International Masters of Wine Symposium (Video)
- Climate Change's Affect on the Wine Industry | Greg Jones | Vinexpo 2019, Bordeaux (Video)
- Climate, Grapes, and Wine | Greg Jones | TEDx Roseburg (Video)
- Climate Smart Ag and Healthy Soils | Jenny Lester Moffitt
- Connections: How climate change is impacting the wine industry | Greg Jones | Here and Now, NPR and WXXI AM News (Podcast)
- Gregory V. Jones, Linfield College
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Sustainable Ag Expo
Subscribe on Google Play, iHeartRADIO, iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, or wherever you listen so you never miss an episode on the latest science and research with the Sustainable Winegrowing Podcast. Since 1994, Vineyard Team has been your resource for workshops and field demonstrations, research, and events dedicated to the stewardship of our natural resources.